What Can I Expect From My First Treatment?
Your McTimoney chiropractor will first assess your general health, previous conditions, and existing symptoms. He or she will then conduct a physical examination to locate the problem, during which time your chiropractor will make adjustments using the light, dextrous techniques associated with the McTimoney technique.
If at any point your chiropractor discovers or suspects a condition that requires medical intervention, they will refer you to your GP for further tests.
Normally your first visit can last anything between 30 minutes and an hour. During this time, the chiropractor will:
- Take a full case history, assessing your general health, previous conditions, and existing symptoms
- Ask your permission to conduct a thorough physical examinations (this will include neurological and orthopaedic tests, if necessary)
- Refer you for x-rays if they are needed.
- Make adjustments using the light, dextrous techniques associated with the McTimoney technique
In some instances, your chiropractor may need to ask you to remove some clothing. Privacy and a gown are always provided but do tell your chiropractor if you feel uncomfortable about undressing.
A chiropractor’s first concern is to find out what is wrong. They will also check for signs of any serious conditions for which you would need specialist advice.
Before the treatment starts your Chiropractor will explain to you clearly:
- The results of your examination
- The proposed treatment plan
- The benefits and any significant risks associated with your condition and proposed treatment plan
Treatment is very much a partnership between you & your chiropractor!